on the other hand, there's nothing i love more than a list. and if the list can be somehow rule-bound and ceremonial, yet compellingly game-like, so much the better.
so, here, to mark the year's shift, are the questions we asked about 2009 (and my answers in parentheses):
- what's the best thing you did for yourself this year? (return to acupuncture)
- what's the best thing you did for someone else this year? (taking care of jo)
- what's the best thing someone else did for you this year? (jo-ann, july)
- what's the best gift you gave this year? (problematic answer, but: turning exposure over to jen)
- what's the best gift you received this year? (iPhone)
- what's the most stunning thing you saw? (bryce canyon)
- the most amazing thing you heard? (one of our students' edm soundscapes)
- most memorable sensory experience? (biking thunder mountain)
- biggest surprise, pleasant? (oct 24th)
- regret? (pass: too scary)
- best new person in your life? (deidre's baby, elena)
- best money spent? (hiring a housecleaner)
- best thing you read? (anthropology of turquoise)
- best new thing, complete or incomplete? (uh oh, no answer - unless empanadas count?)
tell me your answers, or suggest more questions. for instance, i'd appreciate a question that allows me to say how grateful i am to have any readers, after being such a negligent blogger this year. but enough about me. what moves you, makes you feel alive? what makes your heart glad? what turns your senses on?
what made your year?